Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Great hikes near major St. Croix Co. roads

Wildwood Trail
Several major highways offer access to Wisconsin’s St. Croix County, which is chock full of great hiking trails.

From the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, take Interstate 94 east across the St. Croix River. Visitors from southern Minnesota and Iowa can drive Interstate 35 north to I-94 while those in northern Minnesota can take I-35 south to I-94. Once in St. Croix County, most of the hiking trails are only a few miles north or south of the freeway. One easy hiking area to reach is Willow River State Park and its 45-foot waterfall, which is just a couple of miles off I-94.

From western Wisconsin take either Wis. Hwy. 35 or U.S. Hwy. 63 to I-94. Hwy. 35 runs through River Falls, past Hudson’s downtown pier and riverway, and to Somerset. Hwy. 63 meets I-94 in Baldwin, which boasts the Casey Lake Wildlife Management Area.

From eastern Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, head west on Wis. Hwy. 64, Wis. Hwy. 29 or I-94. Hwy. 64 runs through New Richmond and Somerset, passing the latter’s La Grandeur Natural Area. Hwy. 29 links to I-94 in Eau Claire or can be taken directly to Spring Valley with its Eau Galle Recreation Area and Crystal Cave. I-94 passes Woodville and offers access to the Glen Hills.

From southern Wisconsin, take I-94 north into the county. The freeway offers access to each St. Croix County community.

Learn more about nearby day hiking trails in my Day Hiking Trails of St. Croix County.