Friday, June 17, 2016
Know how to avoid, treat foot-related injury
To keep your feet healthy on a hike, you should:
• Prepare your feet in advance of the hike. This includes trimming your toenails and tying your boot laces properly.
• Keep your feet dry and warm on a hike. Always wear the proper socks and understand when to change them.
• Follow common sense to avoid sore feet, legs and back during the hike. Whenever hiking, maintain good posture and stay hydrated.
• Carry a first-aid kit for your feet. Should you suffer an injury, a couple of lightweight items can go a long way in dealing with a blister or sprained ankle.
• Know how to treat common foot injuries. Blisters, a twisted ankle, and frostbite all can be treated when on the trail to minimize the pain.
Learn about trail guidebooks available in the Hittin’ the Trail series.