Monday, January 5, 2015

Five great quotations about hiking to discuss with kids

“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.”
Photo courtesy of gbaku / Photoree. 
The trail offers a great opportunity to teach kids lessons about life. For older children and teens, a good quotation might be the way to impart wisdom or at least a good discussion going. Here are five great quotations I like for the trail:

“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity.” – John Muir

“I travel not to go anywhere, but to go./I travel for travel's sake./The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.” – Edward Abbey

“Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,/Healthy, free, the world before me,/The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.” – Walt Whitman

“Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.” – Henry David Thoreau

Learn about trail guidebooks available in the Hittin’ the Trail series.