Sunday, March 10, 2013

Five great hiking quotes to discuss with day hiking with kids

Photo courtesy of iphis/Photoree
The trail offers a great opportunity to teach kids lessons about life. For older children and teens, a good quotation might be the way to impart wisdom or at least a good discussion going. Here are five great quotations I like for the trail:

“I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it.” – Soren Kierkegaard

“Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.” – Steven Wright

“Thoughts come clearly while one walks.” – Thomas Mann

“A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world.” – Paul Dudley White

“The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost the use of his feet.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Read more about day hiking with children in my Hikes with Tykes guidebooks.