Thursday, March 14, 2013

Dealing with stinging nettles on the hiking trail

Stinging nettles. Photo courtesy
of Indiana DNR.
Fortunately nettles only result in the temporary pain of being stung. Watch for an itchy red rash, however, as this indicates an allergic reaction.

To avoid nettles, stay in the middle of the trail. In addition, if walking through an area with nettles, cover exposed parts of body with clothing.

Treat a nettle cut by plastering baking soda or a cold compress on the area that stings. If an allergic reaction occurs, seek medical attention.

Read more about day hiking with children in my Hikes with Tykes guidebooks.