Sunday, October 23, 2011

Treat children for shock during hiking injury

When the circulatory system fails, the heart and brain are deprived of oxygen, resulting in the life-threatening condition of shock.

Blood loss is the most common cause of shock, but other injuries such as fractures, heat stroke and hypothermia also can lead to it. To prevent shock, adequately treat such injuries.

Even with such treatment, however, there is a chance that shock might occur. Symptoms include a fast but weak pulse, cool skin, chills, pallor, and mental confusion.

To treat, place a tarpaulin or picnic tablecloth on the ground that can keep the child’s body off the earth. Lay the child on this covering and raise the feet about 20 inches off the ground. Cover the child in clothing to maintain his body temperature. Keep reassuring the child so they remain calm. Don’t let them go asleep and seek immediate medical attention.

Read more about treating children's medical injuries in my guidebook Hikes with Tykes.